About the Harbor Management Commission
# of Members:
Party Balance Required?:
Four Years (Two Term Limit)
Board of Selectmen and RTM
Town Code - Chapter 24
The Harbor Management Commission is charged with implementing the Town’s adopted “Management Plan for Southport Harbor”. The Plan provides for safe and beneficial use of Southport Harbor, protects the Harbor’s natural and cultural resources, and establishes the Town’s authority for managing the Harbor.
Powers and Duties
- Managing the mooring and anchoring of all boats in the Harbor and reviewing all proposals affecting the Harbor to determine adherence with the Plan.
- Managing the town property known as the “Lower Wharf” for public use and enjoyment.
- Providing an annual review of the Management Plan for Southport Harbor and making additions or modifications to the plan as appropriate.
- Recommending ordinances for adoption by the RTM to implement the Management Plan for Southport Harbor and specifying fines for violating any ordinances.
- Reviewing for consistency with the Southport Harbor Management Plan any public notice of an application for a permit for an activity affecting the real property on, in, or contiguous to the Commission’s jurisdiction and respond in a timely manner.
- Conducting or initiating studies of the conditions and operations in and adjacent to the Harbor Management Area.
Duties may include:
- Assisting the Harbor Management Commission and the Harbor Master in their duties, the Commission may appoint a special agent who will serve at their behest.
- Hiring staff and consultants