There are many ways you can protect yourself from a mosquito bite and preventing mosquitoes from breeding in your yard.
To reduce the risk of being bitten by mosquitoes residents should:
- Minimize time spent outdoors between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Be sure door and window screens are tight-fitting and in good repair.
- Wear shoes, socks, long pants, and a long-sleeved shirt when outdoors for long periods of time, or when mosquitoes are more active. Clothing should be light colored and made of tightly woven materials that keep mosquitoes away from the skin.
- Use mosquito netting when sleeping outdoors or in an unscreened structure and to protect infants when outdoors.
- Consider the use of an EPA-approved mosquito repellent and apply according to directions when it is necessary to be outdoors.
For more information and tips, please view our video below.
For more information on West Nile virus, please visit: cdc.gov/westnile/
For general information on mosquito activity in CT visit: ct.gov/mosquito/site/default.asp