Governor Lamont’s recently signed Executive Order No. 9R allows towns to again offer deferment for property tax payments. This past spring the Town of Fairfield approved a tax deferment program (for taxes due April 1st and July 1st) that Governor Lamont authorized in response to the pandemic. The new Executive Order allows towns to offer deferment for taxes due January 1. The extension will be for a total of 90 days, (an additional 60 days beyond the normal grace period). The revised due date is April 1. Anyone who fails to pay by the new April 1 deadline would have to pay three months of interest added along with his or her existing bill. Escrow accounts are still ineligible for deferment. Commercial landlords must apply by February 1, 2021 to be considered for eligibility.
- Commercial Landlord Application
- January 1, 2021 installment grace period is extended from February 1, 2021 to April 1, 2021
- Includes the Jan. 1st real estate, supplemental and regular motor vehicle and personal property taxes
Important Executive Order 9R Facts:
- Real estate accounts in escrow are not eligible for this program
Commercial landlords must fill out an application by Feb 1st. Commercial Landlord Application
- Prior Oct 1st real estate and sewer installments are not eligible per Governor's executive order.