About the Fire Commission
# of Members:
Party Balance Required?:
Five Years (Two Term Limit)
Board of Selectmen
Town Charter - Article X
The Fire Commissions works with the Fire Chief on matters concerning and affecting the fire department.
Powers and Duties
- Managing and supervising the Fire Department and all property and equipment used by or in connection with the operation for he department, including hydrants used for fire purposes
- Making rules and regulations consistent with the general statutes and the Town Charter to govern the Fire Department and its personnel
- Prescribing penalties for violations of its rules and regulations
- Appointing the fire chief
- Appointing and promoting to all positions in the Fire Department, subject to the provisions of the Town Charter
- Determining qualifications for each rank and grade in the Fire Department.
- Based on appropriations, determining the number of persons employed by the department and the ranks and grades of their compensation.
Duties may include:
- During the absence or disability of the fire chief, designating a member of the department as Acting Fire Chief.