National Prevention Week 2023 - A Celebration of Possibility
About National Prevention Week
National Prevention Week is a national public education platform showcasing the work of communities
and organizations across the country dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of substance use prevention and positive mental health.
Explore SAMHSA's Toolkit for planning your event, and download the NPW Planning Guide and Resource Calendar.
Purpose of National Prevention Week
The three primary goals of National Prevention Week are to:
- Involve communities in raising awareness of substance use and mental health issues and in implementing prevention strategies, and showcasing effectiveness of evidence-based prevention programs;
- Foster partnerships and collaborations with federal agencies and national organizations dedicated to improving public health; and
- Promote and disseminate quality substance use prevention and mental health promotion resources and publications.
National Prevention Week Day-by-Day
- Sunday, May 07:
- Problem Gambling Awareness
- Monday, May 08:
- Enhancing Workplaces / Recovery Friendly Workplaces
- Attend SAMHSA's Talk. They Hear You Relaunch - hosted by National Prevention Week: Register here.
- Download SAMHSA's mobile App "Talk.They Hear You", for great conversation starters.
- Tuesday, May 09:
- Opioid Misuse and Overdose Prevention
- Wednesday, May 10:
- Illicit Drug Use and Youth Cannabis Use
- Thursday, May 11:
- National Children's Mental Health Awareness Day
- Underage Drinking and Alcohol Misuse Prevention
- Friday, May 12:
- Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention
- Saturday, May 13:
- Make Fest, Connecticut Science Center, 250 Columbus Blvd, Hartford, CT 06103,
11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Youth Tobacco Use (E-Cigarettes & Vaping)
NPW is celebrated in Connecticut by the CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), the CT Clearinghouse, the Center for Prevention and Evaluation (CPES), the Governor’s Prevention Partnership (GPP), the Prevention Training and Technical Assistance Service Center (TTASC) Regional Behavioral Health Action Organizations (RBHAOs), and the Local Prevention Councils (like Fairfield CARES) and coalitions serving CT communities.
Meet Starfish Stella, the prevention mascot for the State of Connecticut! Starfish Stella is meant to be used for all aspects of National Prevention Week and throughout the year on promotional materials, handouts, social media posts, and more!
Youth groups are invited to participate in the NPW 2023 #PreventionHappensHereCT photo/video social media campaign. The campaign is open to Connecticut youth groups (grades K-12) only.
Click Here for Art Contest Details.
Click here to return to our homepage.