National Prevention Week 2022
National Prevention Week (NPW) is a national public education platform bringing together communities and organizations to raise awareness about the importance of substance use prevention and positive mental health.
Purpose of National Prevention Week
The three primary goals of National Prevention Week are to:
- Involve communities in raising awareness of substance use and mental health issues and in implementing prevention strategies, and showcasing effectiveness of evidence-based prevention programs;
- Foster partnerships and collaborations with federal agencies and national organizations dedicated to improving public health; and
- Promote and disseminate quality substance use prevention and mental health promotion resources and publications.
This year, SAMHSA is creating a new way to participate in National Prevention Week (NPW) through #MyPreventionStory. It is a way for us to acknowledge our mental health and substance use prevention experiences.
National Prevention Week’s daily themes
Each year, National Prevention Week includes daily themes to focus on major substance use and mental health topics. The 2022 daily themes are:
Monday, May 9: Strengthening Community Resilience: Substance Misuse and Overdose Prevention
- Everyone should know how to save a life from opioid overdose. Attend a Narcan training today!
- Attend SAMHSA's Prevention Day and hear from prevention leaders; learn about the latest developments in the areas of mental illness and substance abuse prevention, treatment, and recovery; network with other practitioners; and sharpen your skills. Register here.
- Tuesday, May 10: Preventing Substance Use and Promoting Mental Health in Youth
- Wednesday, May 11: Preventing Suicide
- Attend a Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) Gate-Keeper Training and/or request a Trainer from Fairfield CARES to offer a training to your organization.
- Thursday, May 12: The Talent Pipeline: Enhancing the Prevention Workforce
- Friday, May 13: Prevention is Everywhere: Highlighting Efforts Across Settings and Communities
- Follow and share our social media posts.
- Saturday, May 14: Celebrating Prevention Heroes
- Join Fairfield CARES at the Sacred Heart University Discovery Science Center and Planetarium on 4450 Park Ave in Bridgeport CT, 06604.
NPW is celebrated in Connecticut by the CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), the CT Clearinghouse, the Center for Prevention and Evaluation (CPES), the Governor’s Prevention Partnership (GPP), the Prevention Training and Technical Assistance Service Center (TTASC) Regional Behavioral Health Action Organizations (RBHAOs), and the Local Prevention Councils (like Fairfield CARES) and coalitions serving CT communities.
Meet Starfish Stella, the prevention mascot for the State of Connecticut! Starfish Stella is meant to be used for all aspects of National Prevention Week and throughout the year on promotional materials, handouts, social media posts, and more!
Connecticut K-12 students are invited to submit black-and-white artwork for a coloring book using Connecticut's NPW mascot, Starfish Stella, linked to a theme from one of the eight categories of developmental assets. Up to three winners will be selected. Winners will receive two tickets to the Connecticut NPW Event, on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at the Discovery Museum in Bridgeport, CT. All qualifying submissions will be posted on this webpage.
Click Here for Art Contest Guidelines
Click Here to download the Parent/Guardian Consent Form
Click Here for the Submission Form
Click here to return to our homepage.