Departments & Services > Health > Home Septic Systems

Information on Home Septic Systems

The Department of Health has plans of where systems are located (“as-builts”) and other information on most septic systems in the Town of Fairfield. Staff is available to provide this information and answer questions during office hours Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 10:30 am. Copies are 50 cents per page. You can also call the Health Department and leave a message for a Sanitarian if you would prefer it to be faxed or emailed to you at no charge. If you are not the property owner, a Request for Information Form would need to be completed and submitted prior to information being provided.

Proposed repairs, alterations or additions to septic systems may additionally fall under the authorities of other Town departments. In every case each contractor and the home owner should at minimum contact the Conservation Department and the Building Department to check if there are requirements in addition to those of the Health Department. All home owners need to be aware that if the property has inland wetlands, or falls within inlands wetland set backs (from inland wetlands on neighboring properties), the property is regulated by the Conservation Department. If the septic system activity involves electrical work related to a pump chamber, an electrical permit must be obtained from the Building Department.

Septic System-related forms are below.  Please contact the Town's Environmental Health Program at (203) 256-3020 for more information.

Listing files in 'Septic Sytem Permit Applications'