Why buy local? By choosing to support local businesses, you not only enjoy a more personalized buying experience, you help:
- Build Community! Small businesses are part of the fabric of our Town. Local businesses donate more than twice as much per sales dollar to local non-profits, charitable events and teams as compared to their national counterparts.
- Strengthen Our Local Economy! Dollars spent locally are re-invested locally. Each dollar that you spend at locally-owned, independent businesses returns 3 times more money to the local economy than one spent at a national chain and almost 50 times more than buying from a distant on-line retailer.
- Keep Our Community Unique! In an increasingly homogenized world, independent, one-of-a-kind businesses help give our Town a distinct identity and unique sense of place.
- Create A Sustainable Future! Independent, community-serving businesses typically consume less land, carry more locally-made products, and create less traffic and air pollution.
- Create More Jobs And Economic Opportunities! Small businesses are the largest employer nationally and create two out of every three new jobs. Entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in places that work to preserve their distinctive community character and one-of-a-kind stores, creating additional opportunities.
- Realize Better Value For Yourself! Small businesses make decisions based on the needs of their local customers, not on a national sales plan. Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products that they sell and take more time to get to know their customers. Consumer surveys repeatedly show independent businesses beating their chain competitors in overall customer satisfaction.
Buy Local Events
The Office of Community & Economic Development, along with the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce, sponsors and markets events throughout the year to promote shopping locally:
Summer Sidewalk Sale
The popular Summer Fairfield Sidewalk Sale features merchants selling their wares in front of their stores. There is live music, activities for families and children, and special menus at participating restaurants. The Fairfield Sidewalk Sale is held the 3rd Saturday in July every year. Click here to register as a sponsor or vendor.
Spring Shop & Stroll
Celebrate the Spring Season with the Shop & Stroll Into Spring event where shops stay open late and feature hors d'oeuvres and seasonal beverages. Join us for future Shop & Stroll events. Merchants who wish to participate in shopping events can sign up here.
Holiday Shop & Stroll
Get in the winter spirit and do your holiday shopping at the Holiday Shop & Stroll. Participating shops will stay open late and offer hors d’oeuvres and seasonal refreshments. Traveling carolers and musicians from local schools provide holiday cheer, and various local restaurants offer dinner or drink specials. Merchants who wish to participate in shopping events can sign up here.
Restaurant Week is an incredibly popular event in October where participating restaurants offer prix-fixe menus at lunch and dinner prices. Restaurants who would like to participate can view the participation agreement and complete the participation form online to register.