Bigelow Center Transportation Services
100 Mona Terrace
BUS TRANSPORTATION 203-256-3168
MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY 8:30am TO 2:30pm
The Town of Fairfield provides curb-to-curb bus services to Fairfield residents who are seniors 60 years and older, people with disabilities (all buses are wheelchair lift equipped), and Veterans for:
- Daily trips to the Senior Center and Social Services
- Weekly grocery shopping
- Medical appointments
- Special approved trips
- Mall and Hairdresser
Physically frail individuals may enter and exit the vehicles using assistive devices such as canes or walkers with minimum assistance from the driver. Individuals in wheelchairs will receive assistance to enter the wheelchair lift that will be secured by the driver. The drivers are not permitted to assist individuals to enter or exit their homes. Riders must be capable of entering and exiting the vehicles and their homes on their own or with the assistance of an escort.
Winter Weather Policy: Announcements will be made on the radio WICC 600 AM and WEZN 99.9 FM and Television on Channels 3, 8, and 12. If the Fairfield Public Schools are closed due to the weather the Senior Center will be closed and there will be no transportation. If the schools have a delayed opening the Senior Center will open at 11:00 AM and transportation will also be delayed. Please call to reschedule medical appointments on the following business day.
To request appointments for bus rides:
- Submit Fairfield Senior Center Member Registration Form.
- Please make appointments as soon as possible to avoid being turned away, first reserved – first served.
- Please notify of cancellations as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary trips.
- Notify dispatcher of disabilities, i.e. wheelchair.
Those not ambulatory require an aide.
- Members must be ready one hour prior to appointment, please be prompt.
- Payment for a ticket is not available on the bus unless prior arrangements have been made.
- A $5.00 ten punch ticket may be obtained at the transportation office: 100 Mona Terrace.
- Senior Center: one punch (.50 cents) round trip
- Fairfield Doctors: two punches ($1.00) each way
- Bridgeport Doctors: four punches ($2.00) each way
- Grocery shopping: one punch (.50) round trip
- Library: one punch (.50) round trip
- Daily to/ from
- must be available for pick-up at 9:00 AM
- return trips home from Center lobby at 12:30 and 2:30 PM
- Tuesday and Thursday 2:30 trip when available
- Doctors appointments have priority
- Appointments are limited daily. Make appointments as soon as possible, not less than 24 hours in advance. Must be prepared for pick-up one hour prior to appointment. Returns as soon as possible when notified.
- Medical appointments to Bridgeport between 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM. Returns only until 2:30 PM.
- Fairfield Doctors and Medical appointments 10:30 AM to 2:00 PM. Return until 3:00 PM.
To Stop and Shop, Shop Rite and Trader Joes
- For individuals: Tuesdays pick up after 9:00 AM
- Groups at Housing (Parish court, Trefoil, Pine Tree, Sullivan McKinney) Thursday pick-up 11:30 AM.
- Limit of three brown bags or five plastic bags to your door
Library: Wednesdays only to the Main Branch 9:00 AM pick up on the way into the Center, return pick up at 12:30 PM.
Hair Appointments: first and third Fridays
Mall: Second and fourth Fridays
Dial-A-Ride supplements the town-provided Senior Center Transportation and the GBTA-provided fixed route buses and the ADA service. Service is available seven days a week. 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Applications are available at the Senior Center, 203-256-3125.
There are three target groups of Fairfielders: homebound senior citizens, homebound people with disabilities, and veterans.
- Group trips for shopping and entertainment.
- Individual trips to friends, families, shopping, place of religious worship, etc.
- Veteran trips to West Haven VA Hospital
Other Local Transportation Resources
Guidebook for seniors, people with disabilities and veterans: www.knowhowtogoct.org
Greater Bridgeport Transit (GBT)
One Cross Street
Bridgeport, CT 06610
- One- Way fare is $ 1.75 – daily year round service with special weekend and holiday hours; regional town service connecting to other rail and bus transportation;
- “Zip trip”: Half- Fare: Persons displaying a valid Medicare, ADA or State Elderly/ Disabled ID card pay half- fare all the time.
ITN - Coastal CT
303 Linwood Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06824
- Door-to-Door arm-in-arm transportation available 24/7. Annual Membership fee-reasonable rates per mile or hour-Service areas-Fairfield, Westport, Norwalk, Wilton, Easton
- Serves persons with low vision
ext. 3182, 3327
- VA Hospital transportation provides transport for eligible vets including wheelchair service.