bg
Departments & Services > Conservation > Open Space Program

Open Space Program

Through the Open Space Program, the Conservation Department manages or administers over 1,100 acres of Town-owned upland forest, lakes, rivers, salt marsh, wetlands and meadows throughout inland and coastal Fairfield. The Town’s efforts to acquire open space have provided land for active recreational parcels, for beaches, golf courses, ball fields, and marinas, and for passive recreational parcels as well. These passive recreational parcels provide opportunities for uses such as hiking, fishing, nature study, picnicking, camping, horseback riding and other outdoor activities. In addition, they enhance and conserve natural resources, protect fish and wildlife habitats, and contribute significantly to the beautiful rural characteristics that are so much a part of the Town of Fairfield.

In determining how to best manage a specific parcel of open space land, the Conservation Commission follows a systematic analysis. It evaluates the assets of the property including its natural resources, topography, geology, hydrology, cultural amenities and history; reviews its current uses, activities and management concerns; develops management goals and objectives; and provides recommendations to guide day-to-day management of the property. This has been done in detail on several of our open space parcels: Brett Woods Conservation Area; Lake Mohegan Open Space; Grace Richardson Conservation Area and Hoyden’s Hill Open Space; and, the Coastal Area. These management plans are available at the Conservation Department.

The open space areas listed below are accessible by the general public, and their use is governed by "Rules and Regulations, Fairfield Beaches, Waterways, Channels, Marinas, Parks, and Open Space Areas Owned and Operated by the Town of Fairfield, Fairfield, CT", available from the Town’s Public Works Department.

The contact person for the Open Space Program is: 

Edward Jones
Open Space Manager
203-256-3071

List of Open Space Parcels Managed or Administered by the Conservation Department

* Please Note: Areas marked with asterisk have not been dedicated as conservation open space, but are administered by the Conservation Commission. See RTM Ordinances, Section 35 for a description of the types or classes of Town open space property. (Available at Town Clerk's Office.)

Sasco Creek Watershed - Total Acreage: 285.31 Acres

Brett Woods Conservation Area
Acquired: 1941-1983
Acreage: 185.7 acres
Uses: hiking, horseback riding, camping, wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: west end North Street and Redding Road (just past cul-de-sac); North Street and Gilbert Highway (end of North Street); Fallow Field Road (at Mulberry Hill Road right-of-way); Treasure Road and Gilbert Highway

Morehouse Farmstead Open Space
Acquired: 2000
Acreage: 29.74 acres
Uses: passive recreation and open space
Access: West side of Redding Road adjacent to Merritt Parkway

* Greenfield Farm
Acquired: 1998
Acreage: 20.73 acres
Uses: farm lease; hiking trails
Access: south side of Congress Street between Cross Highway and Hillside Road

* Binger Woods
Acquired: 1999
Acreage: 30.0
Uses: hiking trails
Access: south side of Cross Highway between Redding and Congress

Cedar Meadow Open Space
Acquired: 1999
Acreage: 1.8 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: south side of Cedar Road between Grist Mill Lane and Half Mile Road

Sasco Creek - Kirik Open Space
Acquired: 1972
Acreage: 5.1 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: north side of Wakeman Lane adjacent to Sasco Creek

Sasco Creek Pond
Acquired: 1968
Acreage: 5.57 acres
Uses: hiking, fishing, wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: Arbor Drive; Hulls Highway just north of Arbor Drive

Sasco Creek Marsh
Acquired: 1971
Acreage: 2.40 acres
Uses: wildlife protection wetland protection
Access: south side of Kings Highway; adjacent to Sasco Creek

Westway Road
Acquired: 1964
Acreage: 2.68 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: west side of Westway Road at intersection with Oxford Road

Southgate Lane
Acquired: 1965
Acreage: 1.48 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: from Sasco Creek

Pequot Road
Acquired: 1946
Acreage: 0.11 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: north side of Pequot Road; adjacent to Sasco Creek

Bilberry Trail Open Space
Acquired: 1993
Acreage: 7.0 acres
Uses: hiking, horseback riding, wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: north side of Mill Hill Terrace, opposite Southport Woods Drive

Mill Hill Open Space
Acquired: 2002
Acreage: 37.77 acres
Uses: undesignated

Mill River Watershed - Total Acreage : 563.51 Acres

Hoyden’s Hill Open Space
Acquired: 1966-1973
Acreage: 58.5 acres
Uses: hiking, cross country skiing, wildlife conservation, agriculture, golf driving range, police firing range
Access: Hoyden’s Lane by Driving Range entrance or at Driving Range; North Street west of Morehouse Highway

Barbieri Open Space
Acquired: 1993
Acreage: 41.1 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east side of Hoyden's Hill Open Space; west side of Morehouse Highway at Bluebell Lane

Grace Richardson Conservation Area
Acquired: 1966-1970
Acreage: 87.4 acres
Uses: hiking, wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: intersection of Congress Street and Morehouse Highway; east side of Hoyden's Hill Road

Quarry Pond Open Space
Acquired: 1997
Acreage: 8.05 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: west side of Hoyden's Hill Road along gas transmission line

* Dawe Property
Acquired: 1999
Acreage: 2.0 acres
Uses: conservation
Access: accessible only from town property on east side of Burr Street north of Merritt Parkway

Lake Mohegan Open Space
Acquired: 1967-1985
Acreage: 170.4 acres
Uses: hiking, picnicking, fishing, horseback riding, wetland protection, wildlife protection
Access: beach parking lot; Morehouse Highway and and Mohican Hill Road; Morehouse Highway just south of the Merritt Parkway; East Field Circle; Morehouse Highway just south of the beach parking lot

* Crow Hill Open Space
Acquired: 1998
Acreage: 4 acres
Uses:undesignated
Access: Pent Road on south side of Congress Street

Black Rock Turnpike Property
Acquired: 1996
Acreage: 0.85 acres
Uses: wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: east side of Black Rock Turnpike just north of Rock Ridge Road

Samp Mortar Rock Historic Area
Acquired: 1966
Acreage: 7.3 acres
Uses: historic conservation, hiking, wildlife conservation
Access: west side of Springer Road just south of cul-de-sac

Mountain Laurel Open Space
Acquired: 1966
Acreage: 23.9 acres
Uses: hiking, wildlife conservation, wetland protection
Access: north side of Mt Laurel Road on sharp bend

Trillium Road Open Space
Acquired: 1970
Acreage: 4.6 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east end of Trillium Road

Philbin Open Space
Acquired: 1993
Acreage: 2.3 acres
Uses:wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: north side of Trillium Road Open Space

Springer Glen Open Space
Acquired: 1971-1976
Acreage: 38.0 acres
Uses: hiking, fishing, wildlife conservation, wetland
Access: north side of Stillson Road; north of intersection with Mill Plain Road; south end of Pheasant Lane

Drake Lane
Acquired: 1968
Acreage: 3.6 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east end of Drake Lane

Millspaugh Drive
Acquired: 1951
Acreage: 2.0 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: west end of Millspaugh Drive

Dudley Drive
Acquired: 1968
Acreage: 1.2 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: at intersection with Cynthia Drive

Flower House Drive
Acquired: 1968
Acreage: 1.3 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: west side of Flower House Drive on east side of Mill River

Riverfield
Acquired: 1958
Acreage: 18.6 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: west of Riverfield School, south of Duck Farm Road on east side of Mill River

Perry’ s Mill Ponds
Acquired: 1960-1974
Acreage: 81.41 acres
Uses: education, hiking, fishing, wetland conservation, wildlife conservation
Access: east side of Bronson Road;  north of Sturges Highway bridge;   north side of Perry Street; south side of Sturges Road; east side of Mill River

Pine Creek Watershed-Total Acreage 225.62 acres

Old Field North Marsh
Acquired: 1949-1958
Acreage: 21.18 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation 
Access: north side of Old Field Road at Pine Creek

Old Field South
Acquired: 1966-1995
Acreage: 34.2 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east end of Meadow Court

Stock Property
Acquired: 1995
Acreage: 6.2 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: south side of Old Field Road, west side of Pine Creek

Bilyard Property
Acquired: 1998
Acreage: 0.68 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east side of Ennis Lane at cul-de-sac

*Downs Property
Acquired: 1999
Acreage: 1.8 acres
Uses: conservation
Access: east end of Meadow Court

Pine Creek Marsh 
Acquired: 1940-1979
Acreage: 77 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: north side of Old Dam Road, east of tennis courts

One Rod Highway Marsh
Acquired: 1940-1953
Acreage: 28 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: north and south sides of One Rod Highway

Reef Road Marsh
Acquired: 1982-1988
Acreage: 7.56 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east side of Veteran's Park

Old Dam Road Marsh
Acquired: 1941-1982
Acreage: 37 acres
Uses: hiking, salt marsh restoration, wildlife conservation
Access: south side of Old Dam Road, opposite Kiwanis Field

Wakeman Island
Acquired: 1940-1953
Acreage: 12 acres
Uses: salt marsh restoration, wildlife conservation
Access: south and east of Pine Creek marsh

Ash Creek Watershed - Total Acreage 39.29 acres

*Szost Property
Acquired: 1998
Acreage: 2.1 acres
Uses: conservation
Access: east end of Nutmeg Lane; north end of Sigwin Drive; west side of Jeniford Road

Woodside Circle
Acquired: 1966
Acreage: 1.0 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: east side of Woodside Circle on Rooster River

Gypsy Springs
Acquired: 1966
Acreage: 2.5 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: north end of Grace Street; south end of Beaver Street

Sanfilippo Property
Acquired:1997
Acreage: 0.14 acres
Uses: wetland protection, wildlife conservation
Access: north side of Gypsy Springs Open Space

Mary Katona Memorial
Acquired: 1984
Acreage: 2.2 acres
Uses: hiking, wildlife conservation
Access: west side of Katona Drive; opposite west end of Pepperbush Lane

Ash Creek/Riverside Drive Open Space
Acquired: 1978
Acreage: 2.85 acres
Uses: salt marsh, shellfishing
Access: south side of Riverside Drive

Ash Creek/Penfield Mills Open Space
Acquired: 1939-1978
Acreage: 25 acres
Uses: boating, fishing, shellfishing, hiking, picnicking, playground, wildlife conservation
Access: east of South Benson Marina; from Riverside Drive Open Space

Woods Wetland Conservation Area
Acquired: 1988
Acreage: 3.0 acres
Uses: salt marsh, wildlife conservation
Access: south bend of Shoreham Terrace

Cambridge Street Wetland Conservation Area
Acquired: 1988
Acreage: .50 acres
Uses: salt marsh, wildlife conservation
Access: from Turney Creek

Coastal - Total Acreage 0.9 acres

Rickards Dune
Acquired: 1973
Acreage: .9 acres
Uses: dune restoration
Access: south side of Fairfield Beach Road; east of Penfield Beach

For further information or trail maps, call Edward Jones at 256-3071.